March 10th, 10:30am - 6:30pm
Downtown Vancouver, SFU Goldcorp Centre
149 W Hastings St. Vancouver
If you’re interested in developing with voice-first technology, this workshop is for you! You’ll walk away with new tools and techniques to create voice-activated apps.
- Learn the basics of the Amazon Voice Service development ecosystem and overall architecture
- Walk away knowing how to create your own conversational Amazon Alexa Skill
- Build the fundamentals for Voice-First apps from the ground up. Examples of Alexa Skills include being able to play music, set an alarm, or answer questions.
- Create voice experiences using the latest user interface design and industry trends--voice is the latest disruption to computing
- Connect with a community of Voice-First developers, enthusiasts, and industry experts in Vancouver
- Understand how to navigate through the Amazon development portal for creating a new Skill Blueprint and Lambda Functions
- Understand how to implement Voice-First apps in real situations (e.g. healthcare) by connecting with industry experts
- Deploy and interact with your first Alexa Skill in the Amazon Echo Simulator
- Gain insights needed to turn your Voice-First app into an entrepreneurial venture
- Catered lunch is included in the workshop from the Lazy Gourmet
10:30 - 11:00 am / Registration
11:00 - 11:15 am / Introduction
11:15 - 11:45 am / Presentation by Dr Klug
11:45 - 12:30 pm / Voice-First Lesson Part I
12:30 - 1:15 pm / Lunch Catered
1:15 - 1:45 pm / Presentation by Dr Lubik
1:45 pm - 6:00 pm / Voice-First Lesson Part II
6:00pm - 6:30 pm / Networking
Any questions or concerns? We’re happy to help at email@example.com
What do I need to bring?
You will need to bring a laptop running Linux, MacOS, or Windows. We’ll send you details to set up your environment before the workshop. Don’t forget your charger!
What is the workshop like?
This is a tech workshop, so you’ll be in a classroom setting where the instructor and mentors will be available to help during the lessons to develop cool voice-first apps!
Do I need a background in voice-first design?
Nope! We don’t expect our attendees to have a background in any voice-first technology. However, having some programming background will be very helpful.
What are we making during the workshop?
You’ll be guided along a lesson to create some voice-activated skills (or capabilities) for voice-activated apps, for example, to play music or set an alarm. Our instructor and mentors are available to help with anything during this time.
Why is the price so low?
We are able to put on this workshop at a beautiful venue with catered lunch with the help of our amazing sponsor, SFU Beedie School of Business!
I’ve signed up! What now?
You should receive an email about workshop details from Design Lab. If you haven’t received it by Wednesday, March 7th, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get it sorted out!
Thank you to our Sponsor for their support! We couldn't have pulled it off without them.
About Design Lab
Design Lab is a tech community organization solving problems in different areas using technology. We recently produced lumohacks, a 500-person hackathon in Vancouver, to improve the lives of people facing mental health challenges, and we are currently looking at solving healthcare problems using technology.
All proceeds of the enrolments go towards running the workshop. By signing up, you agree to the Terms & Conditions.