Download and Install the following:
- Unity – We will use Unity as our Game Engine
- Google VR SDK
- Required Unity libraries from here
- If you have an Android phone, follow this setup
- If you have an iPhone, follow this setup
- Slack – We will use slack as our primary communication tool
- Also, the latest version of the android sdk the tools folder isn’t working with unity, so also download:
If you’re on OSX / If you’re on Windows
Find the tools folder on your android sdk folder (Usually under appdata\local\android\sdk) and replace it with the one from the download.
** Note: You must have a Mac to build with iPhones
Items to bring:
- Phone (Android, iPhone)
- Charger (for laptop and phone)
- Mouse (optional but recommended)
- Data Cable for smartphone (may be your phone charger)
- Your lunch and water bottle (there are also food spots nearby)
Build Process for Androids
1. Download Unity
2. Make sure you have the Google VR SDK (https://developers.google.com/vr/unity/)
3. Download the Android SDK (https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html)
4. Open the SDK Manger and add at least one Android SDK Platform, the Platform Tools, the Build Tools, and the USB drivers if you’re using Windows.
5. Enable Developer Options on your device. Go to your phones Settings -> About phone. You must tap Build Number repeatedly until Developer Options appears.
6. Enable USB Debugging. Navigate to the Developer Options (Setting -> Developer Options) and enable the USB Debugging option.
7. Plug in your device, unlock screen, and allow USB Debugging on your device.
8. Configure the SDK path in Unity. (Unity -> Preferences -> External Tools -> Android SDK: Browse). Browse to the root SDK folder. Example directory of where you may have downloaded it: Users/foo/Library/Android/sdk
9. Build & Run.
10. TESTING: When the game is still running on the device, navigate to the directory containing the Android SDK Tools and then navigate to tools and double click the application called monitor. Android Device Monitor will now open.